Relevant topics include:
• Criminal liability and on-field violence – defence of consent
• The legality of fighting sports
• Civil liability – participants, referees and coaches
• Drugs in sport
• Gender testing and the rights of transgender athletes
• Contract law
• Restraint of trade
• The regulation of football agents
• Media rights
• The impact of European law on sport – free movement of persons, competition law, discrimination and the provision of services
• Alternative dispute resolution - the Disputes Resolution Authority and the Court of Arbitration for Sport
• Animals in sport – historical and modern involvement of animals in sport
Sport and the Law: A Concise Guide is intended for use by sports governing bodies, sports persons, coaches, referees, lawyers, and those studying sports or law related courses. It is also a useful source for those who have an interest in the interaction between sport and the law.
Laura Donnellan, LLB, LLM is a Lecturer in Law in the School of Law, University of Limerick.